Update: Our sponsor Sentry Doors (link) has generously increased the course record bonus (male and female) to £500!, so if you anybody who is a quick runner, get them to enter!
Race is Wednesday 16th May @ 7pm. Strict 600 entry limit.
Online entries here: 2018 Askern 10km Online
Postal entries here:2018 Askern 10k Postal
- Wednesday 16th May @ 7 pm
- 600 entry limit, closes 1 week before or when limit hit
- No entries on the day
- Race HQ + Parking @ Askern Miners Welfare, DN6 0AJ
- Transfers at our discretion and deadline same as entries closing
- Collect number + chip on the day
….a whole £20. Dave Collo is membership sec. (Which is code for don’t give me the money)
However, the club owes all Percy Pudders who ran and entered under their own steam £20. So £20 = £20. I’ll provide Dave Collo a list of those this applies to.
Subject says it all! Apart from the agenda…. No doubt 10km.
Brief post as someone was asking. Fixtures below. Numbers arrived today and are now with Dave Collo and will be taken to club on Tuesday, so if you’re running Wednesday make arrangements at the club. I will not be there.
The dates and venues are:-
28th March – Brodsworth –– 6:45 start.
11th April – Lodge Moor – 7pm start
25th April – Worsborough 7pm start
9th May – Penistone 7pm start
We’ve selected a date for the rescheduled Norton 9, Sunday 1st July. Our primary criteria was not to tread on other local(ish) races toes – we know its important for clubs to maintain healthy races and equally runners have their regular races.
In the next few days, we’ll open the entries for the Askern 10km (Wednesday 16th May) and once that’s mostly in hand we’ll start the Norton 9 process. We will try to email everybody who entered for the March race so they get good notice.
Usual time (1915) usual place (Norton Club).
[Please read the entire post – for both refunds and rescheduling]
Unfortunately, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel the Norton 9 due to weather. There were many factors but the primary ones are related to risk, health and safety:
- For runners, 2.1miles of the course is impassable, will not be gritted or ploughed and as the temperature is not rising before Sunday will not thaw. The most rural section of our course is solid, continuous ice (some photos below).
- For spectators and marshals, the pavements are treacherous and the expected wind-chill is unacceptable for 3+ hours which is how long people must be on course.
- For officials or other parts of the race organisation, we have St Johns coming from Newcastle, race timing from Blackburn, adjudicator from Barnsley. We cannot impose on them to travel.
Independent of the above, Doncaster MBC Emergency Services committee met and asked us yesterday not to proceed with the race, which we must respect. If something were to go wrong it is those services that we would be relying on and putting them at risk too.
We will be rescheduling the race this year. Our continuous streak of 30+ years will not be broken. Foot-and-mouth did not stop us in ’01, polar winds will not stop us in ’18. We will find a date that does not interfere with other local races (Ackworth Half, Darrington 5mile, Pontefract 10km have ruled out some potential weekends). We will share ASAP what our rearranged plans are, but it might take a while as there is a lot to line up.
Refunds: our ethos has always been our races are for “runners”. We keep our prices low and are always as flexible as we can be. We have taken the decision to refund all entrants and you can decide individually to re-enter the new date.
- Online entries: Update: Refunds have been processed, it may take a few days for your bank to reflect it.
Refunds will go back to the payment card, this may take quite a few days. If you have transferred since, you will need to sort that out with your friend.
- Postal entries: Your cheques have not been cashed and will be destroyed.
Please share this post with your friends and club mates. We will be emailing all online entrants, phoning all postal entrants and posting on various Facebook groups too.
Again, we really did not want to do this but have made the call. As we say, the race will be rearranged and we will push this information to all people who entered this race.
Having said all that, now to plan the Askern 10km! Wednesday 16th May. Will post soon.
Firstly, we’ll start with the info as though the race is going ahead. Please find links to:
Collect number and returnable chip on the day; HQ open from 08.30 am – race start at 10.00am. Leave plenty of time…
Parking opposite Norton Middle School courtesy of Norton Strawberry Growers (sat nav: DN6 9DG), weather permitting. Do not park on West End Road as this forms part of the course.
Also, the start has changed to the main road from the side street so we will be congregating runners in the park and walking down just ahead of the race. Please follow the marshal’s instructions.
*** Now the weather ***
We like everyone are watching the upcoming forecast, as it stands we haven’t cancelled the race but we are mindful of many factors that could lead to that outcome. The primary problem with the course is some areas are ungritted and with the temperature not forecast to rise above 4C (even 1C) existing ice is unlikely to go. We also have to consider the medical provider (St Johns) /must/ be in attendance otherwise we are in violation of licensing and insurance.
We will email everybody ahead of the weekend what the situation is.
Should we cancel (and that has not happened yet) we would look to reschedule the race but we’d have to work with the local UKA to make sure we don’t clash with other local races.
Stan W has put forward a night out, where the general consensus is an Indian @ Aagrah, Adwick.
Could you let him know by Tuesday if you’d like to do, there’s quite some interest already so I think its happening and he’s just trying to finalise numbers.