[Please read the entire post – for both refunds and rescheduling]
Unfortunately, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel the Norton 9 due to weather. There were many factors but the primary ones are related to risk, health and safety:
- For runners, 2.1miles of the course is impassable, will not be gritted or ploughed and as the temperature is not rising before Sunday will not thaw. The most rural section of our course is solid, continuous ice (some photos below).
- For spectators and marshals, the pavements are treacherous and the expected wind-chill is unacceptable for 3+ hours which is how long people must be on course.
- For officials or other parts of the race organisation, we have St Johns coming from Newcastle, race timing from Blackburn, adjudicator from Barnsley. We cannot impose on them to travel.
Independent of the above, Doncaster MBC Emergency Services committee met and asked us yesterday not to proceed with the race, which we must respect. If something were to go wrong it is those services that we would be relying on and putting them at risk too.
We will be rescheduling the race this year. Our continuous streak of 30+ years will not be broken. Foot-and-mouth did not stop us in ’01, polar winds will not stop us in ’18. We will find a date that does not interfere with other local races (Ackworth Half, Darrington 5mile, Pontefract 10km have ruled out some potential weekends). We will share ASAP what our rearranged plans are, but it might take a while as there is a lot to line up.
Refunds: our ethos has always been our races are for “runners”. We keep our prices low and are always as flexible as we can be. We have taken the decision to refund all entrants and you can decide individually to re-enter the new date.
- Online entries: Update: Refunds have been processed, it may take a few days for your bank to reflect it.
Refunds will go back to the payment card, this may take quite a few days. If you have transferred since, you will need to sort that out with your friend.
- Postal entries: Your cheques have not been cashed and will be destroyed.
Please share this post with your friends and club mates. We will be emailing all online entrants, phoning all postal entrants and posting on various Facebook groups too.
Again, we really did not want to do this but have made the call. As we say, the race will be rearranged and we will push this information to all people who entered this race.
Having said all that, now to plan the Askern 10km! Wednesday 16th May. Will post soon.